Monday, August 13, 2007

Mother's Day at the Race Track

Between trips to Michigan and Colorado, I squeezed in a quick trip to SoCal to see family in that neck of the woods and enjoy the big event, the August celebration of Mother's Day at the Del Mar Race track. The photos I took are still on my brother's camera; these will have to do. John and Cheryl were the big winners this year. I won $60 on the first race and watched tose winnings slip away on just about each subsequent race. The photos I took are on John's camera, so you will just have to imagine the beautiful grounds, colorful jockeys and horses.



John and Cheryl just completed the remodel of their new home. Beautiful green granite kitchen counters, spacious living. Take a look --both directions toward the kitchen and into the family room:

DSC_0148

DSC_0149

Costa Mesa is a pretty flat place, but their property is on a bit of a mesa, so the back yard is wide open to the sky -- no neighbors in sight. The large patio in such a great climate is essentially another room; we enjoyed all our meals there. I especially enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of pastries and newspapers and chat.
DSC_0150


And I just can't resist. Here's my inspiration for Petit Blu. This is John's mini, Beach Runt. It must have been a similar August trip two years ago that I first drove this little guy.

DSC_0151

One last shot you might enjoy. Here is the Costa Mesa house where we lived from 1974 to 1980. DSC_0143

1 comment:

Gigi said...

My $71.00 winnings made my day, had been betting Across the Board and Quinellas all afternoon and finally did it on the last race.
Mothers of the world, a day at the races sure beats conventional Mother's Day cekebrations AND is a great day for all. Try it, you'll like it!
Gigi