Friday, July 20, 2007

Our Trip to Alaska: Sights Blurbs

Summer in Gustavus and parsnip and lupine blanket the entire glacial plain, in some spots as far as the eye can see and as tall as you are. We arrived at the peak of this bloom. As these fade the fireweed replaces it, just as tall and widespread. Incredibly beautiful.

FIRST DAY

Vast fields of parsnip and lupine.

FIRST DAY WALK

This was the first remarkable sight of the visit. Our national bird thrives in Gustavus. This one was perched in a tree just above us as we approached the beach for the first time.

EAGLES


EAGLES

Toward the end of the five day visit, I snapped this pair on the dock. I approached as near as I dared and took a first picture. These blase fellows were so nonchalant, I took another six steps to snap a closer shot. I was able to do this four times before they took any notice. I might have been able to get even closer but I was called back down the dock to board the fishing boat.

EAGLES

4 comments:

Heather said...

Looks great!

Gigi said...

Been feasting on the memory AND the halibut. Great post. Gigi

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I dream the collection should have more info then it has.